Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cables and Lace for Miss Cultured Purl - My first cabled project!



It has been a really long time since I have blogged about my knitting creations - since I have been so so so busy knitting and following the soccer World Cup! Anyways, this is my first project with cables and I have got to say - cables are so much fun and so easy! Also, the shine worsted yarn from knitpicks is surprisingly soft! It falls well too. I Love, love, love this top. Im relieved that it fits around the bust and arms perfectly and there is no bulging anywhere so far... The lower part of the top is probably going to be much easier since it is supposed to fall loosely over the torso. I cannot wait to get started on it!

So, here are some pictures of the progress on the top so far ~ more pics to come as I keep going!




 

















Alright, I finished this top at the end of summer, and truly dislike the way it looks on me. For starters, I think it makes me look bulkier than I really am. Basically, it is not flattering. I think the problem is that I used a worsted weight (thicker) yarn than a DK weight. Aaaah, rookie mistake... But I guess that's how you learn. Then I also was not sure how to carry the top off - wearing a tank top / camisole underneath made it look strange and shapeless and wearing just a bra looked incredibly weird especially around the bust. I dont think Im being overly critical - check out the pictures and judge for yourself.





The overall construction of the piece, the lace and the cables are quite pretty. I just dont think the end effect looks good on me. So, now that this top has been sitting around neglected since the longest time ever, it has been increasingly obvious to me that Im never going to wear it whole-heartedly. So, I have yanked out the yarn, unraveled the top and plan on reusing this perfectly, good, soft cotton yarn for a cowl and perhaps a cute shrug!





For more technical details, visit my ravelry page


No comments:

Post a Comment